Explore and question the meaning of life
Alpha is a chance to explore and question the meaning of life. Each evening starts with a meal and the chance to get to know people on your table. There’s then a short talk on a topic such as ‘Who is Jesus?’ or ‘Why and how do I pray?’ followed by an opportunity for discussion if you’d like to. There’s also the option of a day away as part of the course.
No background knowledge of Christianity is presumed, no question is out-of-bounds, and you don’t have to come for the whole course. Just come along to a launch evening and see what you think.
Explore your relationship in a relaxed, informal environment
The Marriage Course is an opportunity to explore your relationship in a relaxed, informal environment over eight weeks.
Each evening is designed for any married couple looking to build a strong and lasting relationship – there’s a short talk and the opportunity to discuss it with your partner over dinner. There’s no group work and no requirement to disclose anything about your relationship to anyone else. And although it’s based on Christian principles, many people without a Christian faith or church background have found the course rewarding as well.
We also run marriage preparation sessions for engaged couples throughout the year, giving you the opportunity to discuss your relationship with a more experienced married couple in the church.
Making church happen
Our serving teams are crucial to the life of our church – without these teams of volunteers we wouldn’t be able to do all that we currently do. Many people have found serving teams to be a great way to get to know others in the church, and to use the gifts and passions God has given them.
- Children – Our children’s teams serve our children on a Sunday by making sure everyone is having fun and staying safe.
- Setup – The setup team helps to get our venue ready for our Sunday services, setting up equipment and putting chairs out.
- Welcome – The welcome team makes sure everyone feels welcome and comfortable on a Sunday, and helps with communion and the offering.
- Audio – The audio team runs the PA system, working with the worship team to make sure everyone can hear what’s happening during our Sunday services.
- Visuals – The visuals team is responsible for displaying the song lyrics and other visuals during the Sunday service, setting up the projector and running the software.
- Prayer – Members of our prayer team are available after every Sunday meeting to offer prayer for anything, including physical healing.
To volunteer for one of our teams, or to find out more information about serving at Emmanuel Church, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Supporting us financially
Everything we have is a gift from God, and if we are to make a significant contribution to the flourishing of our city then it matters how we use our resources.
Emmanuel Church is funded purely by the donations of those who attend, and the money we receive is invested in various ways: projects serving different communities within Oxford, centrally run programmes, and staff and accommodation costs. We also give away a significant proportion of what we receive to external projects and organisations.
If you consider Emmanuel Church to be your home, then we would love you to consider giving financially.
How To Give
- Online – If you use online banking you can give a regular gift by setting up a standing order, choosing how much you want to give and how often. Our account details are: 65800708 / 08-92-99 / Emmanuel Church Oxford.
- Cash or Cheque – Baskets are passed around during our Sunday services – this is your opportunity to give either cash or a cheque (made payable to Emmanuel Church Oxford), but please feel free to let them pass you by.
Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to claim an additional 25p from HM Revenue and Customs for every £1 you donate. If you are a UK taxpayer and would like to Gift Aid your donation to Emmanuel Church, please click here to download our Gift Aid form, and email it to email@example.com.
Emmanuel Church Oxford is a registered charity, no. 1164734. You you can view our latest annual financial summary here, and the latest full accounts and trustees' report here and here (you'll notice this second one is just to July 2016, when we changed charitable status - further reports from August 2016 will be available soon), as well as find our accounts and annual reports on the Charity Commission website.
For more information about giving to Emmanuel Church, email firstname.lastname@example.org.